Friday 21 June 2013

When Life Gives you Mandarins


Mark was out on the road yesterday, and while driving through Gayndah, he stopped in at a citrus farm and bought a HUGE box of mandarins - 8kg for $7. So who exactly is getting ripped-off here? Is it the Farmers or us who pay that much for 1kg in the supermarket?

Question is, what is one to do with so much fruit? I turned some of them into a Mandarin and Poppyseed Cake:


which I served with some double cream and a pot of tea - it was the perfect way to end a busy day. And believe it or not, I actually have a recipe for "mandarinade" which I might try over the weekend. I don't think you can get enough Vitamin C, particularly with all the colds and flu getting around. Anyone like to offer any other ideas?

And on the reno front, what we thought was asbestos sheeting in the bathroom has turned out to be FC so that should considerably reduce the removal costs for us. As for the rain..... well let's hope it doesn't last.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! Crushed mandarin cake with almond meal is the bomb and also mandarin marmalade.
    Yes, this rain is a hassle when you need to get things done around the house! Hope it clears quickly for your renos. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about some Mandarin Curd - whip some up the same as Lemon Curd and put in a jar, yummy! I agree, you can never dose the kids up with enough extra vitamin c this time of year. Hope the rain clears so you can get on with some more renos. Have a lovely weekend. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! I love citrus in baked goods.

    I can't say that I am sorry to be missing what seems to be a cold, rainy Brisbane winter!
    I hope that it clears soon so that they can continue to progress with your renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally Wise in her book A Year in a Bottle has a great recipe for Mandarin Jam. I'm not a confident jam maker but that recipe was easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be inflation, we would always get a box or two from Gayndah at $6/box a when we did country service. They were the best, miss that part of all those roadtrips only. Cake looks yum, I love LOTS of poppy seeds too!

    ReplyDelete